Whole-Wheat Couscous with Parmesan & Peas
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Couscous, which is actually a type of tiny pasta, makes an almost-instant side dish. Happily, the whole-wheat variety is just as fast to prepare as regular couscous. Lemon zest is a delicious accent to nutty Parmesan in this Italian-inspired couscous.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, water and oil in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and remove from heat. Cover and let plump for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook peas on the stovetop or in the microwave according to package directions.
- Add the peas, dill, lemon zest, salt and pepper to the couscous; mix gently and fluff with a fork. Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
Per serving: 208 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 186 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006