Whole-Wheat Couscous with Parmesan & Peas
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Couscous, which is actually a type of tiny pasta, makes an almost-instant side dish. Happily, the whole-wheat variety is just as fast to prepare as regular couscous. Lemon zest is a delicious accent to nutty Parmesan in this Italian-inspired couscous.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, water and oil in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and remove from heat. Cover and let plump for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook peas on the stovetop or in the microwave according to package directions.
- Add the peas, dill, lemon zest, salt and pepper to the couscous; mix gently and fluff with a fork. Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
Per serving: 208 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 186 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006