The blueberry filling was tasty but the crust/crumbs were awful.
Whole-Wheat Blueberry Bars
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
These delicious blueberry treats feature moist fruit filling with a crunchy topping made with the same dough as the crust.
7 Reviews for Whole-Wheat Blueberry Bars
Made these for a family function and everyone really liked them. I had a few issues though that were my own fault. I decided to cut back on the amount of sugar as suggested by other readers, but I think that made the crust a little less firm. I think that might have been due to the reduced amount of dry ingredients. Next time I might add a little more flour and/or bake the crust a few minutes longer to help the crust stand up better. Also, I wasn't paying attention and ended up using about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice extra. The bars still were great, just very lemony.
Do you have a gluten free version?
I heeded the advice of the people who have made this prior to myself and cut the sugar down to a half cup as advised and I substituted agave syrup for the sugar in the filling. My 2 young children love them. They are quite tasty.
I too thought they were very sweet. Also the taste of lemon almost overpowered the berries. But still very good!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (84 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)