From EatingWell: March 1998
Take a break from your ordinary waffle routine with this oat-and-nut studded version.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir in nuts, if using.
- Whisk egg, egg white, brown sugar, oil and vanilla into oats. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with nonstick spray. Spoon in batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary.
Per serving: 252 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (22% daily value), Calcium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- March 1998