From EatingWell: March 1998
Take a break from your ordinary waffle routine with this oat-and-nut studded version.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir in nuts, if using.
- Whisk egg, egg white, brown sugar, oil and vanilla into oats. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with nonstick spray. Spoon in batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary.
Per serving: 252 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (22% daily value), Calcium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- March 1998