From EatingWell: March 1998
Take a break from your ordinary waffle routine with this oat-and-nut studded version.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir in nuts, if using.
- Whisk egg, egg white, brown sugar, oil and vanilla into oats. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with nonstick spray. Spoon in batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary.
Per serving: 252 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (22% daily value), Calcium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Grapefruit can add a healthy and refreshing flavor to entrees...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- March 1998