From EatingWell: March 1998
Take a break from your ordinary waffle routine with this oat-and-nut studded version.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir in nuts, if using.
- Whisk egg, egg white, brown sugar, oil and vanilla into oats. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with nonstick spray. Spoon in batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary.
Per serving: 252 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (22% daily value), Calcium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March 1998