From EatingWell: March 1998
Take a break from your ordinary waffle routine with this oat-and-nut studded version.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir in nuts, if using.
- Whisk egg, egg white, brown sugar, oil and vanilla into oats. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with nonstick spray. Spoon in batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary.
Per serving: 252 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (22% daily value), Calcium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- March 1998