White Turkey Chili
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy white turkey chili recipe is gorgeous, with flecks of green from zucchini, oregano and green chiles. To keep the saturated fat low, we use one pound of ground turkey and add whole-grain bulgur to boost the volume and fiber in this chili recipe. After all the ingredients are added to the pot, we like to slowly simmer our chili for close to an hour to develop the best flavor, but if you’re in a hurry, reduce the liquid by half and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans no-salt-added white beans, rinsed
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles, mild or hot
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is starting to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add bulgur, oregano, cumin, coriander, white pepper and salt and cook, stirring, until aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in white beans and chiles, then pour in broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and thickened and the bulgur is tender, about 50 minutes.
Per serving: 356 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 10 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 898 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2013