White Turkey Chili
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy white turkey chili recipe is gorgeous, with flecks of green from zucchini, oregano and green chiles. To keep the saturated fat low, we use one pound of ground turkey and add whole-grain bulgur to boost the volume and fiber in this chili recipe. After all the ingredients are added to the pot, we like to slowly simmer our chili for close to an hour to develop the best flavor, but if you’re in a hurry, reduce the liquid by half and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans no-salt-added white beans, rinsed
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles, mild or hot
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is starting to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add bulgur, oregano, cumin, coriander, white pepper and salt and cook, stirring, until aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in white beans and chiles, then pour in broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and thickened and the bulgur is tender, about 50 minutes.
Per serving: 356 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 10 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 898 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- September/October 2013