White Turkey Chili
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy white turkey chili recipe is gorgeous, with flecks of green from zucchini, oregano and green chiles. To keep the saturated fat low, we use one pound of ground turkey and add whole-grain bulgur to boost the volume and fiber in this chili recipe. After all the ingredients are added to the pot, we like to slowly simmer our chili for close to an hour to develop the best flavor, but if you’re in a hurry, reduce the liquid by half and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans no-salt-added white beans, rinsed
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles, mild or hot
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is starting to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add bulgur, oregano, cumin, coriander, white pepper and salt and cook, stirring, until aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in white beans and chiles, then pour in broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and thickened and the bulgur is tender, about 50 minutes.
Per serving: 356 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 10 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 898 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2013