White Turkey Chili
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy white turkey chili recipe is gorgeous, with flecks of green from zucchini, oregano and green chiles. To keep the saturated fat low, we use one pound of ground turkey and add whole-grain bulgur to boost the volume and fiber in this chili recipe. After all the ingredients are added to the pot, we like to slowly simmer our chili for close to an hour to develop the best flavor, but if you’re in a hurry, reduce the liquid by half and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans no-salt-added white beans, rinsed
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles, mild or hot
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is starting to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add bulgur, oregano, cumin, coriander, white pepper and salt and cook, stirring, until aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in white beans and chiles, then pour in broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and thickened and the bulgur is tender, about 50 minutes.
Per serving: 356 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 10 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 898 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- September/October 2013