From EatingWell: July/August 2007
OK, so it's kind of a contradiction for a sangria, which is named for its blood-red color, to be made with white wine, but once you've tasted this festive thirst quencher it won't matter a bit. Pieces of mixed summer melons are the perfect match for a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 1/2 cups mixed colorful bite-size melon pieces, such as cantaloupe, honeydew, Ogen or Charentais
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 750-ml bottle crisp white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons Triple Sec, or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 3/4 cup sparkling water, or club soda
- Ice cubes
- Lime or starfruit slices, for garnish
- Small mint sprigs, for garnish
- Stir melon and sugar together in a large pitcher. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes to draw out the juices.
- Just before serving, stir wine, brandy, Triple Sec (or other orange liqueur) and sparkling water (or club soda) into the pitcher. Add ice cubes to 6 glasses. Fill the glasses with the sangria, spooning some of the fruit into each glass. Garnish each drink with a slice of lime (or starfruit) and a sprig of mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 2 just before serving.
Per serving: 198 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 191 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value) Vitamin A (15% dv)
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- July/August 2007