From EatingWell: July/August 2007
OK, so it's kind of a contradiction for a sangria, which is named for its blood-red color, to be made with white wine, but once you've tasted this festive thirst quencher it won't matter a bit. Pieces of mixed summer melons are the perfect match for a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 1/2 cups mixed colorful bite-size melon pieces, such as cantaloupe, honeydew, Ogen or Charentais
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 750-ml bottle crisp white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons Triple Sec, or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 3/4 cup sparkling water, or club soda
- Ice cubes
- Lime or starfruit slices, for garnish
- Small mint sprigs, for garnish
- Stir melon and sugar together in a large pitcher. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes to draw out the juices.
- Just before serving, stir wine, brandy, Triple Sec (or other orange liqueur) and sparkling water (or club soda) into the pitcher. Add ice cubes to 6 glasses. Fill the glasses with the sangria, spooning some of the fruit into each glass. Garnish each drink with a slice of lime (or starfruit) and a sprig of mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 2 just before serving.
Per serving: 198 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 191 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value) Vitamin A (15% dv)
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- July/August 2007