From EatingWell: July/August 2007
OK, so it's kind of a contradiction for a sangria, which is named for its blood-red color, to be made with white wine, but once you've tasted this festive thirst quencher it won't matter a bit. Pieces of mixed summer melons are the perfect match for a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 1/2 cups mixed colorful bite-size melon pieces, such as cantaloupe, honeydew, Ogen or Charentais
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 750-ml bottle crisp white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons Triple Sec, or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 3/4 cup sparkling water, or club soda
- Ice cubes
- Lime or starfruit slices, for garnish
- Small mint sprigs, for garnish
- Stir melon and sugar together in a large pitcher. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes to draw out the juices.
- Just before serving, stir wine, brandy, Triple Sec (or other orange liqueur) and sparkling water (or club soda) into the pitcher. Add ice cubes to 6 glasses. Fill the glasses with the sangria, spooning some of the fruit into each glass. Garnish each drink with a slice of lime (or starfruit) and a sprig of mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 2 just before serving.
Per serving: 198 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 191 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value) Vitamin A (15% dv)
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- July/August 2007