White Pizza with Clams
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Here’s an easy homemade pizza recipe that is a take on white clam pizza, which was first made famous by Frank Pepe of Pepe’s Pizzeria in New Haven, Connecticut. Look for fresh clam strips in the seafood department. You can find them ready to use out of their shells at most large supermarkets. If you don’t want to use fresh, we also like the briny flavor and convenience of canned chopped clams.
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 6 ounces fresh clam strips (not rinsed) or two 6-ounce cans chopped clams, rinsed
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Position a rack in lowest position of oven; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about the size of the baking sheet. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic; combine with oil and pepper in a small bowl. When the crust is done, spread the garlic mixture over it. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan (or Asiago). Scatter clams and onion over the cheese.
- Return the pizza to the oven and bake until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Per serving: 365 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 612 mg sodium; 78 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012