White Pizza with Clams
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Here’s an easy homemade pizza recipe that is a take on white clam pizza, which was first made famous by Frank Pepe of Pepe’s Pizzeria in New Haven, Connecticut. Look for fresh clam strips in the seafood department. You can find them ready to use out of their shells at most large supermarkets. If you don’t want to use fresh, we also like the briny flavor and convenience of canned chopped clams.
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 6 ounces fresh clam strips (not rinsed) or two 6-ounce cans chopped clams, rinsed
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Position a rack in lowest position of oven; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about the size of the baking sheet. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic; combine with oil and pepper in a small bowl. When the crust is done, spread the garlic mixture over it. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan (or Asiago). Scatter clams and onion over the cheese.
- Return the pizza to the oven and bake until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Per serving: 365 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 612 mg sodium; 78 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012