White Pizza with Clams
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Here’s an easy homemade pizza recipe that is a take on white clam pizza, which was first made famous by Frank Pepe of Pepe’s Pizzeria in New Haven, Connecticut. Look for fresh clam strips in the seafood department. You can find them ready to use out of their shells at most large supermarkets. If you don’t want to use fresh, we also like the briny flavor and convenience of canned chopped clams.
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 6 ounces fresh clam strips (not rinsed) or two 6-ounce cans chopped clams, rinsed
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Position a rack in lowest position of oven; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about the size of the baking sheet. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic; combine with oil and pepper in a small bowl. When the crust is done, spread the garlic mixture over it. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan (or Asiago). Scatter clams and onion over the cheese.
- Return the pizza to the oven and bake until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Per serving: 365 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 612 mg sodium; 78 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)