From EatingWell: July/August 2013
White gazpacho is made with bread, almonds, grapes and garlic and is one of the traditional Spanish gazpacho variations. In this white gazpacho soup recipe we add cucumbers and honeydew, whir it in a blender and it becomes silky, a little toasty (from the almonds) and refreshing.
- 2 English cucumbers, divided
- 2 cups green grapes, divided
- 2 slices country white bread, crust removed if desired, torn into pieces
- 2 cups “no-chicken” broth (see Tips) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped honeydew melon
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds, lightly toasted (see Tips), divided
- 1 small clove garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dice enough unpeeled cucumber to equal 1/2 cup and slice enough grapes to equal 1/2 cup; cover and refrigerate.
- Peel the remaining cucumbers; cut into chunks. Working in two batches, puree the peeled cucumber, the remaining grapes, bread, broth, melon, 6 tablespoons almonds, garlic, oil, vinegar and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Serve garnished with the remaining 2 tablespoons almonds and the reserved cucumber and grapes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 3 just before serving.
- To make White Gazpacho vegetarian, use vegetarian “no-chicken” broth instead of regular vegetable broth for its rich flavor. Look for it with other broths in well-stocked supermarkets.
- Toast nuts before using in a recipe for the best flavor. To toast whole nuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast small or sliced nuts or seeds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 211 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 521 mg sodium; 345 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013