White Fish Stew (Bianco)
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
A whole head of garlic, minced, gives this simple Greek fisherman’s stew gutsy flavor, but don’t worry—it mellows out considerably while cooking. The recipe calls for Pacific cod, but any sturdy white fish, such as halibut or haddock, will do.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds cod (see Tip), cut into 6 portions
- 1 lemon
- Heat oil in a 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Place fish in the sauce. (The fish should be at least halfway covered with liquid; if necessary, add more water.) Return the potatoes to the pot, cover and simmer until the fish is opaque and the potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes more. Squeeze lemon juice over the stew just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 203 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 512 mg sodium; 863 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (57% daily value), Potassium (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- May/June 2012