White Fish Stew (Bianco)
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
A whole head of garlic, minced, gives this simple Greek fisherman’s stew gutsy flavor, but don’t worry—it mellows out considerably while cooking. The recipe calls for Pacific cod, but any sturdy white fish, such as halibut or haddock, will do.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds cod (see Tip), cut into 6 portions
- 1 lemon
- Heat oil in a 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Place fish in the sauce. (The fish should be at least halfway covered with liquid; if necessary, add more water.) Return the potatoes to the pot, cover and simmer until the fish is opaque and the potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes more. Squeeze lemon juice over the stew just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 203 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 512 mg sodium; 863 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (57% daily value), Potassium (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- May/June 2012