White Fish Stew (Bianco)
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
A whole head of garlic, minced, gives this simple Greek fisherman’s stew gutsy flavor, but don’t worry—it mellows out considerably while cooking. The recipe calls for Pacific cod, but any sturdy white fish, such as halibut or haddock, will do.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds cod (see Tip), cut into 6 portions
- 1 lemon
- Heat oil in a 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Place fish in the sauce. (The fish should be at least halfway covered with liquid; if necessary, add more water.) Return the potatoes to the pot, cover and simmer until the fish is opaque and the potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes more. Squeeze lemon juice over the stew just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 203 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 512 mg sodium; 863 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (57% daily value), Potassium (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 2012