This fragrant "white" chili is an unusual, delicious alternative to traditional tomato-based chilis. Serve with lime wedges and a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkling of cheese.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 15-ounce cans great northern beans, rinsed
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups diced cooked skinless turkey, or chicken
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chiles, oregano, cumin and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in beans and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add turkey (or chicken) and vinegar; cook for 5 minutes more. Serve.
Per serving: 453 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 44 g protein; 9 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 965 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Niacin (80% daily value), Fiber (45% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 5 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl