White Beans, Spinach & Tomatoes over Parmesan Toasts
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Three words describe this dish to a T: comforting, simple and fast.
- 4 thick slices country-style whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil, or 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Top bread with Parmesan, place on a baking sheet and bake until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and beans and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes are beginning to soften and the beans are heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in spinach, pepper, salt and broth and cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil (or pesto). Spoon the bean-and-spinach mixture over the Parmesan toasts and serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The spinach-and-bean mixture can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Per serving: 270 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 15 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 497 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient