White Beans, Spinach & Tomatoes over Parmesan Toasts
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Three words describe this dish to a T: comforting, simple and fast.
- 4 thick slices country-style whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil, or 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Top bread with Parmesan, place on a baking sheet and bake until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and beans and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes are beginning to soften and the beans are heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in spinach, pepper, salt and broth and cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil (or pesto). Spoon the bean-and-spinach mixture over the Parmesan toasts and serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The spinach-and-bean mixture can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Per serving: 270 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 15 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 497 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient