White Beans, Spinach & Tomatoes over Parmesan Toasts
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Three words describe this dish to a T: comforting, simple and fast.
- 4 thick slices country-style whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil, or 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Top bread with Parmesan, place on a baking sheet and bake until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and beans and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes are beginning to soften and the beans are heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in spinach, pepper, salt and broth and cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil (or pesto). Spoon the bean-and-spinach mixture over the Parmesan toasts and serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The spinach-and-bean mixture can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Per serving: 270 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 15 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 497 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient