White Beans, Spinach & Tomatoes over Parmesan Toasts
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Three words describe this dish to a T: comforting, simple and fast.
- 4 thick slices country-style whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil, or 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Top bread with Parmesan, place on a baking sheet and bake until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and beans and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes are beginning to soften and the beans are heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in spinach, pepper, salt and broth and cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil (or pesto). Spoon the bean-and-spinach mixture over the Parmesan toasts and serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The spinach-and-bean mixture can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Per serving: 270 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 15 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 497 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less