White Bean Spread with Sage
From EatingWell: November 1997
Though this makes a good dip for veggies or pita crisps, you can also spread it in a pita with leftover roasted vegetables for a packable lunch.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15- or 19-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef’s knife.
- Transfer mashed garlic to a food processor. Add beans, oil, lemon juice, cayenne and black pepper; puree until smooth. Scrape into a bowl and stir in sage.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 20 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 80 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Exchanges: (based on 2 tablespoons): 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- November 1997