White Bean Soup (Fassoulatha)
A simple, rich stew of white beans. Serve with Mediterranean Tuna Panini.
- 1 pound dried white beans, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 quart water
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and mashed, or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Drain beans and cook them, covered, in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery and carrots for 3 to 5 minutes. Add water, the cooked beans, tomatoes, oregano, salt, cayenne and pepper. Simmer vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 258 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 1286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Folate (61% dv), Potassium (37% dv), Iron (35% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Vitamin C & Calcium (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more