White Bean Soup (Fassoulatha)
A simple, rich stew of white beans. Serve with Mediterranean Tuna Panini.
- 1 pound dried white beans, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 quart water
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and mashed, or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Drain beans and cook them, covered, in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery and carrots for 3 to 5 minutes. Add water, the cooked beans, tomatoes, oregano, salt, cayenne and pepper. Simmer vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 258 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 1286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Folate (61% dv), Potassium (37% dv), Iron (35% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Vitamin C & Calcium (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)