From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This warm mixture is a distinctive twist on the classic hot buttered rum.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus 10 for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 4 cups water
- 10 dashes bitters
- 12 ounces dark rum (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Using a muddler or large wooden spoon, mash sugar and herbs together in a large saucepan until the herbs are bruised and fragrant.
- Add water and bitters; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in rum and cook for 1 minute. Add butter and cook, stirring, until it melts.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher. Let stand for about 10 minutes to mellow the flavors. Serve in cordial glasses or other small heat-safe glasses, garnishing each drink with a mint leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
178 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 3 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 alcohol equivalent
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- November/December 2009