From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This warm mixture is a distinctive twist on the classic hot buttered rum.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus 10 for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 4 cups water
- 10 dashes bitters
- 12 ounces dark rum (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Using a muddler or large wooden spoon, mash sugar and herbs together in a large saucepan until the herbs are bruised and fragrant.
- Add water and bitters; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in rum and cook for 1 minute. Add butter and cook, stirring, until it melts.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher. Let stand for about 10 minutes to mellow the flavors. Serve in cordial glasses or other small heat-safe glasses, garnishing each drink with a mint leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
178 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 3 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 alcohol equivalent
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- November/December 2009