From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This warm mixture is a distinctive twist on the classic hot buttered rum.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus 10 for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 4 cups water
- 10 dashes bitters
- 12 ounces dark rum (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Using a muddler or large wooden spoon, mash sugar and herbs together in a large saucepan until the herbs are bruised and fragrant.
- Add water and bitters; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in rum and cook for 1 minute. Add butter and cook, stirring, until it melts.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher. Let stand for about 10 minutes to mellow the flavors. Serve in cordial glasses or other small heat-safe glasses, garnishing each drink with a mint leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
178 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 3 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 alcohol equivalent
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- November/December 2009