From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This warm mixture is a distinctive twist on the classic hot buttered rum.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus 10 for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 4 cups water
- 10 dashes bitters
- 12 ounces dark rum (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Using a muddler or large wooden spoon, mash sugar and herbs together in a large saucepan until the herbs are bruised and fragrant.
- Add water and bitters; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in rum and cook for 1 minute. Add butter and cook, stirring, until it melts.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher. Let stand for about 10 minutes to mellow the flavors. Serve in cordial glasses or other small heat-safe glasses, garnishing each drink with a mint leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
178 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 3 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 alcohol equivalent
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- November/December 2009