From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This warm mixture is a distinctive twist on the classic hot buttered rum.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus 10 for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 4 cups water
- 10 dashes bitters
- 12 ounces dark rum (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Using a muddler or large wooden spoon, mash sugar and herbs together in a large saucepan until the herbs are bruised and fragrant.
- Add water and bitters; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in rum and cook for 1 minute. Add butter and cook, stirring, until it melts.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher. Let stand for about 10 minutes to mellow the flavors. Serve in cordial glasses or other small heat-safe glasses, garnishing each drink with a mint leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
178 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 3 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 alcohol equivalent
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- November/December 2009