Wheat Germ Muffins
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Toasted wheat germ adds an almost nutty flavor to these quick and healthy muffins.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup prune butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine 2 tablespoons wheat germ, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Combine flour, remaining 1/2 cup wheat germ, remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, oil and orange zest in another bowl; add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Drop 1 rounded tablespoon batter in each muffin cup. Top with 1 rounded teaspoon prune butter, then another tablespoon batter. Sprinkle tops with reserved wheat germ mixture.
- Bake until lightly browned, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in the pan for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Per muffin: 148 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 416 mg sodium; 116 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (17% daily value), Selenium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1999