Wheat Germ Muffins
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Toasted wheat germ adds an almost nutty flavor to these quick and healthy muffins.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup prune butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine 2 tablespoons wheat germ, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Combine flour, remaining 1/2 cup wheat germ, remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, oil and orange zest in another bowl; add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Drop 1 rounded tablespoon batter in each muffin cup. Top with 1 rounded teaspoon prune butter, then another tablespoon batter. Sprinkle tops with reserved wheat germ mixture.
- Bake until lightly browned, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in the pan for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Per muffin: 148 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 416 mg sodium; 116 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (17% daily value), Selenium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1999