Wheat Germ Muffins
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Toasted wheat germ adds an almost nutty flavor to these quick and healthy muffins.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup prune butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine 2 tablespoons wheat germ, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Combine flour, remaining 1/2 cup wheat germ, remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, oil and orange zest in another bowl; add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Drop 1 rounded tablespoon batter in each muffin cup. Top with 1 rounded teaspoon prune butter, then another tablespoon batter. Sprinkle tops with reserved wheat germ mixture.
- Bake until lightly browned, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in the pan for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Per muffin: 148 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 416 mg sodium; 116 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (17% daily value), Selenium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1999