Wheat & Dried Fruit Porridge
This high-fiber hot cereal offers a delightfully nutty change from oatmeal. Bulgur is a quick-cooking form of wheat that has been parboiled and dried. Don't confuse it with cracked wheat, which needs longer cooking.
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, sliced
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon honey, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup bulgur
- Combine apricots, currants, honey, cinnamon, salt and water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in bulgur; cook, stirring constantly, until the bulgur starts to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand until most of the liquid is absorbed and the fruit is tender, about 3 minutes. Divide between 2 bowls, dust with a little cinnamon and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Bulgur is a quick-cooking form of wheat that has been parboiled and dried. Don't confuse it with cracked wheat, which needs longer cooking.
Per serving: 316 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 12 g fiber; 105 mg sodium; 667 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (22% daily value), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less