Watermelon & Goat Cheese Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: August/September 2005
The contrasting flavors and textures of crisp, sweet watermelon and creamy, tangy goat cheese are magical partners. Top with sliced grilled chicken to make it a meal.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups watercress, tough stems removed, or mixed salad greens (5 ounces)
- 4 cups diced seedless watermelon, (about 3 pounds with the rind) (see Tips)
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion, (1/4 small)
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, (2 ounces), toasted (see Tips)
- Whisk oil, orange juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Add watercress, watermelon and red onion; toss to coat. Divide among 5 plates. Top with goat cheese and hazelnuts to serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Melon selection & storage: Look for symmetrical unblemished melons, without flat sides, that have a creamy yellow spot on the bottom indicating ripeness. At 92% water, this fruit should feel heavy when you heft it. Precut melon flesh should be dense, firm and appear moist. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or keep in a cool, dark spot. Cover the cut surface of melon with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To toast chopped hazelnuts: Toast in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 227 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 12 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 425 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamins A & C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2005