Watercress & Sugar Snap Salad with Warm Sesame-Shallot Vinaigrette
In this Asian-inspired salad, the peppery flavor of watercress is paired with another emblematic spring vegetable—sugar snap peas. Tossed with a warm dressing made with caramelized onions, rice vinegar and toasted sesame oil, this salad is the perfect antidote to the chill of early spring. For the best-tasting watercress, look for supple, thin stems (not woody stalks) with small, heart-shaped, dark green leaves that have no yellow blemishes.
- 8 ounces fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 2 cups; see Tip)
- 2 large bunches watercress, woody stems trimmed (4 ounces or 4 loosely packed cups)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, or canola oil
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled hard, aged goat cheese , or Asiago cheese
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add peas and cook until bright green, 30 seconds. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water until cool. Transfer to a large bowl, add watercress and toss to combine.
- Heat peanut (or canola) oil in a medium nonstick skillet over low heat; add shallots and cook very slowly, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sesame oil and salt; cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Pour the warm dressing over the peas and watercress; toss well. Top with cheese and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To remove the stem and strings at the same time from sugar snap peas, hold the stem between your thumb and index finger, snap and pull down.
Per serving: 186 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 150 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique