Watercress & Sugar Snap Salad with Warm Sesame-Shallot Vinaigrette
In this Asian-inspired salad, the peppery flavor of watercress is paired with another emblematic spring vegetable—sugar snap peas. Tossed with a warm dressing made with caramelized onions, rice vinegar and toasted sesame oil, this salad is the perfect antidote to the chill of early spring. For the best-tasting watercress, look for supple, thin stems (not woody stalks) with small, heart-shaped, dark green leaves that have no yellow blemishes.
- 8 ounces fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 2 cups; see Tip)
- 2 large bunches watercress, woody stems trimmed (4 ounces or 4 loosely packed cups)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, or canola oil
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled hard, aged goat cheese , or Asiago cheese
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add peas and cook until bright green, 30 seconds. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water until cool. Transfer to a large bowl, add watercress and toss to combine.
- Heat peanut (or canola) oil in a medium nonstick skillet over low heat; add shallots and cook very slowly, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sesame oil and salt; cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Pour the warm dressing over the peas and watercress; toss well. Top with cheese and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To remove the stem and strings at the same time from sugar snap peas, hold the stem between your thumb and index finger, snap and pull down.
Per serving: 186 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 150 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique