Watercress & Sugar Snap Salad with Warm Sesame-Shallot Vinaigrette
In this Asian-inspired salad, the peppery flavor of watercress is paired with another emblematic spring vegetable—sugar snap peas. Tossed with a warm dressing made with caramelized onions, rice vinegar and toasted sesame oil, this salad is the perfect antidote to the chill of early spring. For the best-tasting watercress, look for supple, thin stems (not woody stalks) with small, heart-shaped, dark green leaves that have no yellow blemishes.
- 8 ounces fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 2 cups; see Tip)
- 2 large bunches watercress, woody stems trimmed (4 ounces or 4 loosely packed cups)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, or canola oil
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled hard, aged goat cheese , or Asiago cheese
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add peas and cook until bright green, 30 seconds. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water until cool. Transfer to a large bowl, add watercress and toss to combine.
- Heat peanut (or canola) oil in a medium nonstick skillet over low heat; add shallots and cook very slowly, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sesame oil and salt; cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Pour the warm dressing over the peas and watercress; toss well. Top with cheese and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To remove the stem and strings at the same time from sugar snap peas, hold the stem between your thumb and index finger, snap and pull down.
Per serving: 186 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 150 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer