Watercress & Roquefort Eggs
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Peppery watercress and tangy Roquefort are a sophisticated addition to deviled eggs.
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh watercress, plus 24 sprigs for garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Halve eggs. Scoop out yolks, reserving 6 for another use. Mash the remaining 6 yolks in a small bowl. Mix in breadcrumbs, sour cream, chopped watercress, Roquefort and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the yolk mixture into the hollows in the egg whites and garnish each egg with a sprig of watercress. Arrange on a platter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 32 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- November/December 1993