Watercress & Roquefort Eggs
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Peppery watercress and tangy Roquefort are a sophisticated addition to deviled eggs.
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh watercress, plus 24 sprigs for garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Halve eggs. Scoop out yolks, reserving 6 for another use. Mash the remaining 6 yolks in a small bowl. Mix in breadcrumbs, sour cream, chopped watercress, Roquefort and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the yolk mixture into the hollows in the egg whites and garnish each egg with a sprig of watercress. Arrange on a platter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 32 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- November/December 1993