Watercress & Pickled Ginger Salad
Serve this simple salad of pickled ginger, watercress and scallions with grilled fish or chicken.
- 1 clove garlic,crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup drained pickled ginger, plus 1 tablespoon liquid (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups stemmed, washed and dried watercress
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef’s knife. Place in a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add ginger liquid, lime juice (or vinegar), oil, honey and pepper; whisk or shake until blended.
- Place watercress, scallions and pickled ginger in a large bowl. Just before serving, toss with dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Pickled ginger is found at health-food stores, Asian markets and in the supermarket produce department.
Per serving: 76 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 231 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer