Watercress & Pickled Ginger Salad
Serve this simple salad of pickled ginger, watercress and scallions with grilled fish or chicken.
- 1 clove garlic,crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup drained pickled ginger, plus 1 tablespoon liquid (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups stemmed, washed and dried watercress
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef’s knife. Place in a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add ginger liquid, lime juice (or vinegar), oil, honey and pepper; whisk or shake until blended.
- Place watercress, scallions and pickled ginger in a large bowl. Just before serving, toss with dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Pickled ginger is found at health-food stores, Asian markets and in the supermarket produce department.
Per serving: 76 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 231 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation