Watercress & Pickled Ginger Salad
Serve this simple salad of pickled ginger, watercress and scallions with grilled fish or chicken.
- 1 clove garlic,crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup drained pickled ginger, plus 1 tablespoon liquid (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups stemmed, washed and dried watercress
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef’s knife. Place in a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add ginger liquid, lime juice (or vinegar), oil, honey and pepper; whisk or shake until blended.
- Place watercress, scallions and pickled ginger in a large bowl. Just before serving, toss with dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Pickled ginger is found at health-food stores, Asian markets and in the supermarket produce department.
Per serving: 76 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 231 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique