Watercress & Mint Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Fresh watercress and mint combine in this beautiful and quick sauce. Make it just before serving, as the herbs lose color as it sits. Serve over steamed asparagus or heirloom tomato slices.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped watercress leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly colored, about 30 seconds. Add wine and broth and simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs and cook until the mixture thickens, about 30 seconds. Stir in watercress and mint; cook until wilted, about 10 seconds longer. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make this sauce just before serving, so the herbs do not lose their color.
- Reducing the sauce virtually eliminates the alcohol and alcohol calories.
Per tablespoon: 30 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996