Watercress & Mint Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Fresh watercress and mint combine in this beautiful and quick sauce. Make it just before serving, as the herbs lose color as it sits. Serve over steamed asparagus or heirloom tomato slices.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped watercress leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly colored, about 30 seconds. Add wine and broth and simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs and cook until the mixture thickens, about 30 seconds. Stir in watercress and mint; cook until wilted, about 10 seconds longer. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make this sauce just before serving, so the herbs do not lose their color.
- Reducing the sauce virtually eliminates the alcohol and alcohol calories.
Per tablespoon: 30 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996