Watercress & Mint Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Fresh watercress and mint combine in this beautiful and quick sauce. Make it just before serving, as the herbs lose color as it sits. Serve over steamed asparagus or heirloom tomato slices.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped watercress leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly colored, about 30 seconds. Add wine and broth and simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs and cook until the mixture thickens, about 30 seconds. Stir in watercress and mint; cook until wilted, about 10 seconds longer. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make this sauce just before serving, so the herbs do not lose their color.
- Reducing the sauce virtually eliminates the alcohol and alcohol calories.
Per tablespoon: 30 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- March/April 1996