Watercress & Mint Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Fresh watercress and mint combine in this beautiful and quick sauce. Make it just before serving, as the herbs lose color as it sits. Serve over steamed asparagus or heirloom tomato slices.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped watercress leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly colored, about 30 seconds. Add wine and broth and simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs and cook until the mixture thickens, about 30 seconds. Stir in watercress and mint; cook until wilted, about 10 seconds longer. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make this sauce just before serving, so the herbs do not lose their color.
- Reducing the sauce virtually eliminates the alcohol and alcohol calories.
Per tablespoon: 30 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996