Watercress & Endive Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Watercress and Belgian endive are topped with fresh corn kernels, grated egg and a simple lemon vinaigrette for a stunning first-course salad.
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip), grated through the large holes of a box grater
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed and leaves separated
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, oil and salt in a large bowl. Add watercress, egg and corn; toss to combine. To serve, arrange about 6 endive leaves on each salad plate in the shape of a star and top with about 1 cup of the salad. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 135 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 9 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 1007 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- July/August 2008