Watercress & Endive Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Watercress and Belgian endive are topped with fresh corn kernels, grated egg and a simple lemon vinaigrette for a stunning first-course salad.
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip), grated through the large holes of a box grater
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed and leaves separated
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, oil and salt in a large bowl. Add watercress, egg and corn; toss to combine. To serve, arrange about 6 endive leaves on each salad plate in the shape of a star and top with about 1 cup of the salad. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 135 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 9 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 1007 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- July/August 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)