Watercress & Endive Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Watercress and Belgian endive are topped with fresh corn kernels, grated egg and a simple lemon vinaigrette for a stunning first-course salad.
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip), grated through the large holes of a box grater
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed and leaves separated
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, oil and salt in a large bowl. Add watercress, egg and corn; toss to combine. To serve, arrange about 6 endive leaves on each salad plate in the shape of a star and top with about 1 cup of the salad. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 135 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 9 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 1007 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2008