Warm Winter Salad for Two
Sautéed radicchio, fennel and carrots are topped with chicken, walnuts and Gorgonzola in this warm and hearty main-dish salad. Serve with crusty whole-grain baguette.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pear, sliced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small head radicchio, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 6 large butter lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola, or goat cheese
- Poach chicken (see Tip). Use 2 forks to shred into bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Whisk shallot, vinegar and mustard in a small bowl; add to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add the cooked chicken, radicchio, fennel, carrot and walnuts. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Return the pears to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide lettuce leaves between 2 plates. Top with the warm chicken salad and sprinkle with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- To poach chicken, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 395 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 8 g fiber; 548 mg sodium; 1058 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2