Warm Snow Pea & Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Snow peas aren't just for stir-fries. Thinly sliced, their crunchy texture and sweet taste combine with a creamy Asian dressing to make this salad special.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tahini, or cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound snow peas, trimmed and thinly slivered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- Place chicken in a medium skillet or saucepan and add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool. Shred into bite-size pieces. (Cool and refrigerate the broth, reserving it for another use.)
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, 2 teaspoons sesame oil and tahini (or cashew butter) in a large bowl until smooth.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in slivered peas and cook, stirring, until bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the dressing.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the peas; toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with cashews.
Per serving: 284 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 509 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Selenium (30% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2007