Warm Snow Pea & Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Snow peas aren't just for stir-fries. Thinly sliced, their crunchy texture and sweet taste combine with a creamy Asian dressing to make this salad special.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tahini, or cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound snow peas, trimmed and thinly slivered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- Place chicken in a medium skillet or saucepan and add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool. Shred into bite-size pieces. (Cool and refrigerate the broth, reserving it for another use.)
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, 2 teaspoons sesame oil and tahini (or cashew butter) in a large bowl until smooth.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in slivered peas and cook, stirring, until bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the dressing.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the peas; toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with cashews.
Per serving: 284 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 509 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Selenium (30% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2007