Warm Shrimp & Arugula Salad
Bursting with vibrant flavors, this summery salad makes a terrific supper, light but still satisfying. Fresh, raw corn kernels lend a sweet, candylike crunch to the dish—and work well against the salty shrimp and peppery arugula.
- 12 cups loosely packed arugula leaves
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn if large
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, (from about 2 ears)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails removed if desired
- 2 cups herb-garlic croutons, preferably whole-grain (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
- Combine arugula, basil, corn and tomatoes in a large bowl. Whisk 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle shrimp with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, turning from time to time, just until they turn pink and are opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Add to the arugula mixture along with croutons, if using.
- Whisk the dressing again and drizzle over the salad; toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Grind pepper over the salads and sprinkle with cheese.
Per serving: 363 calories; 22 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 194 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 1317 mg sodium; 655 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Vitamin C (50% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 very lean protein, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique