Warm Shrimp & Arugula Salad
Bursting with vibrant flavors, this summery salad makes a terrific supper, light but still satisfying. Fresh, raw corn kernels lend a sweet, candylike crunch to the dish—and work well against the salty shrimp and peppery arugula.
- 12 cups loosely packed arugula leaves
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn if large
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, (from about 2 ears)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails removed if desired
- 2 cups herb-garlic croutons, preferably whole-grain (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
- Combine arugula, basil, corn and tomatoes in a large bowl. Whisk 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle shrimp with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, turning from time to time, just until they turn pink and are opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Add to the arugula mixture along with croutons, if using.
- Whisk the dressing again and drizzle over the salad; toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Grind pepper over the salads and sprinkle with cheese.
Per serving: 363 calories; 22 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 194 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 1317 mg sodium; 655 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Vitamin C (50% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 very lean protein, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique