Warm Shrimp & Arugula Salad
Bursting with vibrant flavors, this summery salad makes a terrific supper, light but still satisfying. Fresh, raw corn kernels lend a sweet, candylike crunch to the dish—and work well against the salty shrimp and peppery arugula.
- 12 cups loosely packed arugula leaves
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn if large
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, (from about 2 ears)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails removed if desired
- 2 cups herb-garlic croutons, preferably whole-grain (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
- Combine arugula, basil, corn and tomatoes in a large bowl. Whisk 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle shrimp with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, turning from time to time, just until they turn pink and are opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Add to the arugula mixture along with croutons, if using.
- Whisk the dressing again and drizzle over the salad; toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Grind pepper over the salads and sprinkle with cheese.
Per serving: 363 calories; 22 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 194 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 1317 mg sodium; 655 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Vitamin C (50% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 very lean protein, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique