Warm Shrimp & Arugula Salad
Bursting with vibrant flavors, this summery salad makes a terrific supper, light but still satisfying. Fresh, raw corn kernels lend a sweet, candylike crunch to the dish—and work well against the salty shrimp and peppery arugula.
- 12 cups loosely packed arugula leaves
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn if large
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, (from about 2 ears)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails removed if desired
- 2 cups herb-garlic croutons, preferably whole-grain (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
- Combine arugula, basil, corn and tomatoes in a large bowl. Whisk 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle shrimp with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, turning from time to time, just until they turn pink and are opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Add to the arugula mixture along with croutons, if using.
- Whisk the dressing again and drizzle over the salad; toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Grind pepper over the salads and sprinkle with cheese.
Per serving: 363 calories; 22 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 194 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 1317 mg sodium; 655 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Vitamin C (50% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 very lean protein, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique