Warm Salad of Greens, Italian Sausage & Potatoes
For a milder flavor, substitute escarole or Swiss chard for the mustard greens or kale (add them with the potatoes).
- 1 pound mustard greens, or kale (about 12 cups packed), trimmed, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 2 cups lightly salted water to a boil in a large wide pan. Add mustard greens (or kale), cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes; add about 1/2 cup water, if needed. Cover and cook until the potatoes and greens are tender, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage with fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, turning from time to time, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. (The seeds will adhere to the sausage.) Drain. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices; add to the potato mixture.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the sausage-potato mixture and toss to blend. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 262 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 952 mg sodium; 655 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique