Warm Salad of Greens, Italian Sausage & Potatoes
For a milder flavor, substitute escarole or Swiss chard for the mustard greens or kale (add them with the potatoes).
- 1 pound mustard greens, or kale (about 12 cups packed), trimmed, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 2 cups lightly salted water to a boil in a large wide pan. Add mustard greens (or kale), cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes; add about 1/2 cup water, if needed. Cover and cook until the potatoes and greens are tender, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage with fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, turning from time to time, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. (The seeds will adhere to the sausage.) Drain. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices; add to the potato mixture.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the sausage-potato mixture and toss to blend. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 262 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 952 mg sodium; 655 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique