Warm Salad of Greens, Italian Sausage & Potatoes
For a milder flavor, substitute escarole or Swiss chard for the mustard greens or kale (add them with the potatoes).
- 1 pound mustard greens, or kale (about 12 cups packed), trimmed, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 2 cups lightly salted water to a boil in a large wide pan. Add mustard greens (or kale), cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes; add about 1/2 cup water, if needed. Cover and cook until the potatoes and greens are tender, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage with fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, turning from time to time, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. (The seeds will adhere to the sausage.) Drain. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices; add to the potato mixture.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the sausage-potato mixture and toss to blend. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 262 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 952 mg sodium; 655 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique