Warm Red Cabbage Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
In this quick German-inspired side dish, red cabbage is cooked until just tender and combined with sweet apples, caraway and a tangy vinaigrette. Serve with roasted pork loin or turkey kielbasa.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/4 large head)
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 crisp, sweet apple, such as Braeburn or Gala, cut into matchsticks
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly, ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cabbage, caraway seeds and salt. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add apple, shallot, vinegar, mustard and pepper and stir until combined. Serve sprinkled with toasted walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 76 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv), source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- March/April 2007