Warm Red Cabbage Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
In this quick German-inspired side dish, red cabbage is cooked until just tender and combined with sweet apples, caraway and a tangy vinaigrette. Serve with roasted pork loin or turkey kielbasa.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/4 large head)
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 crisp, sweet apple, such as Braeburn or Gala, cut into matchsticks
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly, ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cabbage, caraway seeds and salt. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add apple, shallot, vinegar, mustard and pepper and stir until combined. Serve sprinkled with toasted walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 76 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv), source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2007