Warm Potato Salad with Bacon-Mustard Dressing
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This updated take on German potato salad is a sophisticated addition to any holiday spread. Granny Smith apples are a good choice, as they hold their shape when roasted.
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Toss potatoes, oil, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pep per in the pan. Arrange cut-side down; roast for 10 minutes. Scatter onion on top (do not stir); cook until the potatoes are golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 15 minutes more. Stir in apples; cook until tender but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; crumble. Off the heat, whisk vinegar, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper into the drippings in the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- Drizzle the apples and vegetables with the dressing, sprinkle with bacon and stir to coat. Serve hot or room temperature.
Per serving: 129 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2011