Warm Potato Salad with Bacon-Mustard Dressing
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This updated take on German potato salad is a sophisticated addition to any holiday spread. Granny Smith apples are a good choice, as they hold their shape when roasted.
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Toss potatoes, oil, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pep per in the pan. Arrange cut-side down; roast for 10 minutes. Scatter onion on top (do not stir); cook until the potatoes are golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 15 minutes more. Stir in apples; cook until tender but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; crumble. Off the heat, whisk vinegar, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper into the drippings in the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- Drizzle the apples and vegetables with the dressing, sprinkle with bacon and stir to coat. Serve hot or room temperature.
Per serving: 129 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011