Warm Potato Salad with Bacon-Mustard Dressing
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This updated take on German potato salad is a sophisticated addition to any holiday spread. Granny Smith apples are a good choice, as they hold their shape when roasted.
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Toss potatoes, oil, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pep per in the pan. Arrange cut-side down; roast for 10 minutes. Scatter onion on top (do not stir); cook until the potatoes are golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 15 minutes more. Stir in apples; cook until tender but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; crumble. Off the heat, whisk vinegar, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper into the drippings in the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- Drizzle the apples and vegetables with the dressing, sprinkle with bacon and stir to coat. Serve hot or room temperature.
Per serving: 129 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2011