Warm Potato Salad with Bacon-Mustard Dressing
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This updated take on German potato salad is a sophisticated addition to any holiday spread. Granny Smith apples are a good choice, as they hold their shape when roasted.
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Toss potatoes, oil, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pep per in the pan. Arrange cut-side down; roast for 10 minutes. Scatter onion on top (do not stir); cook until the potatoes are golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 15 minutes more. Stir in apples; cook until tender but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; crumble. Off the heat, whisk vinegar, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper into the drippings in the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- Drizzle the apples and vegetables with the dressing, sprinkle with bacon and stir to coat. Serve hot or room temperature.
Per serving: 129 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011