Warm Potato Salad with Bacon-Mustard Dressing
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This updated take on German potato salad is a sophisticated addition to any holiday spread. Granny Smith apples are a good choice, as they hold their shape when roasted.
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Toss potatoes, oil, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pep per in the pan. Arrange cut-side down; roast for 10 minutes. Scatter onion on top (do not stir); cook until the potatoes are golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 15 minutes more. Stir in apples; cook until tender but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; crumble. Off the heat, whisk vinegar, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper into the drippings in the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- Drizzle the apples and vegetables with the dressing, sprinkle with bacon and stir to coat. Serve hot or room temperature.
Per serving: 129 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2011